Saturday, March 29, 2008

Building Your Dream Home Part 2

Razing
With cottage in a new house plans and permits in hand, hired subcontractors and Septic design in the process, then it is time to demolish the existing cottage. I considered using a local fire department to burn it, but I chose the route instead of demolition. While I did not contact the Fire Department, I was convinced that this route would have resulted in delays and a few pitfalls, I would be at the whim of several city employees and weather conditions. Demolition of the route requires only excavator subcontractor, and less weather risks associated with the schedule. Also, the demolition costs and effort has been very reasonable. For two days, it was as if the cottage has never existed on earth. It is important to note, however, that the cottage was relatively small. It was 22 & 39; x 30 & 39;. If the cottage was much more, the Fire Department in route, perhaps made more financial sense.
The demolition effort itself basically consisted of three parts. First, all the furniture and equipment should be removed. Most of these issues were old and musty and not worth saving. Then, using a large excavator backhoe and tore apart buildings and crushed into small pieces. Finally, the excavator loading debris into several 20 cubic yard dumpsters, which were then hauled away by a trash company. Finding appropriate garbage company has been little challenge, as there are strict regulations on the disposal of certain home building materials. In addition, garbage costs could increase dramatically depending on how far their facilities from the construction / destruction site.
Breaking Ground
After cottage was demolished, and the stakes were placed boundaries outlining a new house, that the time has come to disturb the ground. This was a very exciting time, as my dream was about to begin to take shape. I was building a large modern home with a wall of windows facing the lake. True, it was only a hole in the ground, but this is a rough hole trace my future home. Seeing the hole, I could start more easily visualize my future home.
Digging in the hole and make a place for the foundation is one of the most important aspects of building a new home. As a result, I spent several times as excavators and the Fund subcontractors considering plans to house and the site, and during the excavation. It is vital that we all were on the same page in order to provide a foundation wall, jogs with all its ups and step / fall will be located and installed on the plans. During those meetings, some of the adjustments necessary to the foundation plans, however, all members of the group are involved, these changes were minor and absolutely necessary. These changes have helped prevent more serious problems in the future, and assured that in the aesthetics of homes have been saved.
As I have already noted, is an essential foundation for any quality homes. If the fund is not built on a solid foundation, nor made of concrete strength, the foundation wall cracks will be in a short time. These cracks can lead to water in the basement, settling in the development, and ultimately finished cracks in the walls and ceilings. Consequently, it is essential that the excavations not only duly dug out, but backfilled with gravel and sand to ensure a stable base and ensuring proper drainage under and around the house. In my case I had the excavator to dig sufficiently to allow 18 of gravel for " backfilled into the hole and still meet the requirements of my plan is based.
Once site has been prepared for the concrete foundation crew installed concrete footings 18 " " wide and 12 deep. In addition, they have installed a few cement pillars in the middle of the house footprint for the lally columns. In footings are home base and maintain specific grounds walls and the house itself. Due to the fact that it was winter, calcium chloride has been used as an accelerator to speed up the curing time of concrete. In addition to water pooled in the hole, so the constant pumping was necessary during the time of treatment.
After couple of days, the crew set forms the basis for concrete walls. After a day of the founding walls were poured. Three days later were removed, the form and foundation walls were in. Then I had my excavator subcontractor return. After tarring the outer wall, only to a level where the class is finished, he established a perimeter drain around the foundation, the foundation and then backfilled with clean fill and sand. It is important that boulders and mud will not be used as a backlog of material. Boulders can crack the foundation walls at the same time are forced to live in a place and clay can lead to improper drainage around the house.
With foundation backfilled and I was ready for the creators. Framing
The
The under construction phase is perhaps the most exciting part of the construction of homes. In a relatively short period of time, literally days, the house begins to take real shape. Less than a week knee walls were steps, floor joists and plywood were installed south-floor was down. After a couple of weeks, on the first floor, walls and ceiling joists were installed. I was so impressed I was convinced my new home a month ahead of schedule. The boy was I wrong.
Before I detail my wrong, I have to go back for one minute. Despite the fact that the earth goes, I was also involved Putting a subcontractor. In Framing subcontractor to be ordered development of materials, including wood, doors and windows, shingles and siding. Inevitably there are problems with the availability of material and delivery dates, and as a consequence, we spent a lot of time addressing these issues. Fortunately, because of the continuous communication and rapid solution to the problems we have been able to reach initial supply of sawn timber on the site within a day after the landfill since its foundation.
It important to note that at this time of the draft, that the high cost of money starting to happen. Lumber costs for the construction of houses quite high, and the final payments due to subcontractors excavators and the Fund. Excavations / Sitework Fund and plants, a significant portion of the costs to build a house. In addition, Framing subcontractor demands of his work will be paid in advance.
Also, it is very important that the Homeowner Construction Insurance be obtained before the construction phase. This insurance protects the Homeowner / Construction materials against theft and workers injured. All of your subcontractors, and their employees must be insured, but does not count on it. During any construction project, contractors are required to hire extra help for the short stay, and I would be surprised if those temporary workers were added to the subcontractor in the insurance policy. In landlord / builder insurance policy is small change compared with the risk of theft or threat of injury claims.
As I said before, I was surprised at the development stage in my home. As already mentioned, the initial design quickly. However, it was still winter snow and frequent storms and extreme cold weather became a hit. This drastically slowed progress. Moreover, the supply of new snow that very soon it became apparent that the development crew had my proximity to snowmobiling. So even on sunny days the development of my crew is often lacking. No matter the level of my complaint or prodding, I was unable to control my design subcontractor in the work ethic.
Consequently, I had contact with my plumbing, electricity, fireplace and contractors to inform them of the delay. That was very hard, to do, as I had no definitive date when I would actually need them, and each one is very full calendars. As a result, to be able to call them at the last minute and expect them drop what they are doing to come to work in my draft was highly unlikely. Again, through regular interaction with other subcontractors, I was able to mitigate some of that problem, but my project has made considerable experience timetable slips out of my own design crews shenanigans.
In retrospect, I am not sure that I could do to prevent this problem. Reference checks on Framing subcontractor was positive. I think I should have asked that his hobby was, and I am sure that they do not comply with the season I wanted to work. It is also a fact that unexpected things do happen on any project, and should expect, and to plan accordingly. For example, to place some contingency dollars and graphics on your project activities such as mine. Moreover, I can not emphasize enough to establish relationships and regular channel of communication with all of its subcontractors. Do not assume anything in the project of this size.
To will continue.
In Part 3 " Building Your Dream House ", still in the frame and Electrical and Plumbing bad start. Stay tuned freddie shenika



Bookmark it: del.icio.usdigg.comreddit.comnetvouz.comgoogle.comyahoo.comtechnorati.comfurl.netbloglines.comsocialdust.comma.gnolia.comnewsvine.comslashdot.orgsimpy.com

No comments: